Tuesday 8 November 2022

Fading Memories of NBI Merger with PNB on 4th September 1993

I remember the day when I was the Incumbent of a Scale III Branch [ Chamber Road Moga in Punjab]. I joined that Branch as Incumbent on 06-07-1993 and the Branch was totally in Mess as the Ledger Balance had not been tallied since 1984. I was working day and night to streamline the working of the branch by taking the help of loyal employees of the erstwhile NBI. The News broke down on 03-09-2021 and advised my Team to recover all Clean Overdrafts due to the untallying of Balances as I was sure that PNB Management will not spare the erring officials. I kept the Cash Book in open stage till late night on 03-09-1993 to set the things right as a matter of Last Resort. As expected on 04-09-1993 - Shambu Datt Sharma [ Dy Regional Manager of PNB - who was Scale III official]  joined the Branch as Branch Incumbent and took over the incumbent Seat without any courteous behaviour and I had to sit in front of him as if I was a "Prisoner of War".  As I am a very hard working person - I, without having any grudge against the behaviour of the New Incumbent, I tried to help him in every possible way to take control of the branch as I was still struggling to have control of the branch - which I joined on 06-07-1993. After 2-3 days - Sr Inspector Karnail Singh joined to report Flash Report on the Branch. He was very impressed by my work and reported the things as it is reported by me - fully relying upon me and having full faith and confidence in my competence. But I can not forget the rude behaviour of the New Incumbent. After about one month the New Incumbent realised that he can not run the branch without a Second Man like me as I was a ScaleII Manager at that time and New Bank Management handed over the Incumbency of Scale III Branch to me in July  1993 due to my capacity and competence to bring about improvements. Late Shri C.L. Mahajan, the then Chief Manager at PNB Rajpura Main knew me in person and requested the then Zonal Manager S.K.Gupta at PNB FerozeGandhi Ludhiana to post me at his branch Rajpura which was my Native Home Town. His recommendation and request were accepted and I joined the CMO Rajpura of PNB on 18-10-1993. The merger came out to be Blessing in Disguise from me as NBI had posted me at Moga on 06-07-1993 on my Promotion as Scale II from erstwhile NBI Rajpura Town branch. I enjoyed working at PNB Rajpura as Late Sh.C.L.Mahajan [ then CM at PNB Rajpura who got promoted as Regional Manager Jallandhar on 08-10-1993] and Shri S.S. Arora [ Retd GM PNB ] the Senior Manager remained Officiating Chief Manager and PNB Rajpura Main. I enjoyed working with both Late Shri CL Mahajan and Sh. Surinder Singh Ji Arora who had put heir full confidence in me and my capabilities. I can not forget my association with these two Great Personalities.

No comments: